The location is superior. This property adjoins a publicaly-owned waterfront park and marina on Lake Michigan’s Northport Bay.
- Corner parcel
- Existing building: approximate total SF 6,400 over two floors
- Current Village Zoning: Commercial Residential
- Approximate Year Built: 1900
- Approximate Year Remodeled: 1974-1979
- Central heat: none
- Municipal water and sewer available
- Former use: restaurant, bar and summer resort retail shops
- Current use: vacant and gutted
- Potential uses by right: single family, two family dwellings, retail, offices.
- Uses by Special Use Permit: restaurant, upper level living quarters above commercial use
- 2018 SEV $219,000. Approximate taxes $9056 per year as is (41.35 mils)
- Current Operating Expenses $0
- Sewer Assessments: the building is connected to the municipal sewer system. Based on its current vacant status, the property is assessed as a storage building and has only 1 REU. That will change depending on the future use. Please verify with the Northport Village Administrator.
Few locations within the State of Michigan, or in the country as a whole, are as rich in the quality and variety of natural resources as the Leelanau Peninsula. This is the only commercial property that adjoins a waterfront marina and park in the Grand Traverse Bay region. It offers a panoramic view of Lake Michigan’s Northport Bay without the burden of waterfront taxes. Located just 29 miles from Traverse City and 31 miles to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore (voted the Most Beautiful Place in America) Northport is the last small port town at the tip of this scenic slender Leelanau Peninsula. Northport boasts a newly renovated and beautiful 100 slip marina plus shopper docks and deep water harbor; a youth sailing school; a new 9-hole golf course; community arts center; a new family entertainment center with boutique bowling alley and restaurant; an indoor pool; two fitness centers; tennis, gun club and range, skating and sledding hill; 1300 acre Leelanau State Park with pristine Lake Michigan beach access, 8.5 miles of hiking and ski trails; and the historic Grand Traverse Lighthouse. The Northport area is known for its natural, scenic and open spaces, protected properties and agricultural land wealth including cherry orchards, vineyards, specialty farms including goat cheese producer, Saskatoon’s, organic vegetable growers and farmers markets.
Howard E. Gillman Building
The Howard E. Gillman Building is known locally as the Pier Group Building. It looks out on Haserot Park to Northport Bay and is close to the marina. It was named after Howard E. Gill, who originally used the building as a potato warehouse, Northport’s first cash crop. A second story was added in 1912 for a pea-sorting facility for the W.R. Roach Seed Company and used for that purpose into the 1930s. The first floor of the building housed the local Farm Bureau office in the 1920s. In 1951 the building was sold to Claude Evett and Ed Suddard who used the second floor to manufacture children’s clothing, but later transitioned to making flags and took on the name Spartan Flag Company. They stayed in the building until 1970 when the company moved into a new facility. Then David Allen and James Cornell moved their business, Northport Industries, into the building to manufacture fishing equipment. In 1971 another fishing company, Best Tackle Manufacturing, moved into the facility. The building was sold a few years later to Noah and Lulu Alonzo who remodeled the building and named it the Pier Group. A long, enclosed deck was added on the east side with a view of the bay. The building at different times housed a restaurant, art gallery, gift shop, book store, pizzeria, and dress shop. The building has been vacant since approximately 1983.
Pier Group Property
206 N Rose Street, Northport, MI 49670
Represented by: Ann Marie Mitchell, Coldwell Banker Schmidt Realtors